Rabbi Ysrael Baal Shem Tov (1698-1760)
CLICK ON THE ABOVE PICTURE
The 36 Aphorisms of the Baal Shem Tov Read
- Everything is by Divine Providence. If a leaf is turned over by a breeze, it is only because this has been specifically ordained by G‑d to serve a particular function within the purpose of creation.
- Every single thing that a person sees or hears, is an instruction to him in his conduct in the service of G‑d.
- Your fellow is your mirror. If your own face is clean, so will be the image you perceive. But should you look upon your fellow and see a blemish, it is your own imperfection that you are encountering – you are being shown what it is that you must correct within yourself.
- Our Sages have said that “Slander kills all three” – the subject of the slander, the one who relates it, and the listener. This is all in spiritual terms, which is more severe than physical murder.
- The wholesome simplicity of the simple Jew touches on the utterly simple essence of G‑d.