Vaccine Policy and Genetic Selection
The widespread use of the pertussis vaccine seems to have resulted in natural selection (or unnatural selection, rather) of strains of the bacteria that not only are more resistant to vaccination, but actually favors vaccinated individuals. Read more…
Undervaccination is hardly the problem.
One critical piece of information the Times doesn’t indulge its readers with is that the vaccine does not prevent transmission of the disease. Instead, vaccinated individuals may become asymptomatic carriers.
Newswise — Released: 23-Jun-2015 7:05 AM EDT Whooping cough has made an astonishing comeback, with 2012 seeing nearly 50,000 infections in the U.S. (the most since 1955), and a death rate in infants three times that of the rest of the population. The dramatic resurgence has puzzled public health officials, who have pointed to the waning effectiveness of the current vaccine and growing anti-vaccine sentiment as the most likely culprits.
Fellows Ben Althouse and Sam Scarpino point to a different, but related, source of the outbreak – vaccinated people who are infectious but who do not display the symptoms of whooping cough, suggesting that the number of people transmitting without symptoms may be many times greater than those transmitting with symptoms. Read study….
The move to emphasis those who are vaccinated “shed” and therefore threaten the community will be the responded to by the establishment as a rationale as to the urgency for compulsory National Adult vaccines.
. the right for the state to compel vaccination of all children of which increase greatly the percentage of vaccinated individual’s “shedding” live viruses within the general commmunity does not include liberty to expose the community or the child to communicable disease.
Transmission of varicella-vaccine virus from a healthy 12-month-old child to his pregnant mother.
- Per the CDC, this quote is subtly included, “A small proportion of measles vaccine recipients experience rash and fever 10–14 days following vaccination.”http://www.cdc.gov/measles/lab-tools/genetic-analysis.html
Parents might not want to ignore that detail before giving the vaccine to their child. Or taking their recently vaccinated child to school and around immune-compromized grandma and new babies. Or to Disney.
- Detection of fecal shedding of rotavirus vaccine in infants following their first dose of pentavalent rotavirus vaccine.
- This case documents transmission of varicella vaccine type virus from a healthy vaccinee to susceptible household contacts.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9333170
- “These data illustrate, to our knowledge, the first detailed genomic analysis of a V-Oka variant (V-Oka-zoster) isolated from a zoster patient following vaccination with GlaxoSmithKline V-Oka vaccine.”http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC535228/?tool=pubmed
- “Five months after 2 siblings were immunized with varicella vaccine, 1 developed zoster. Two weeks later the second sibling got a mild case of chicken pox. Virus isolated from the latter was found to be vaccine type.Thus, the vaccine strain was transmitted from the vaccinee with zoster to his sibling. Vaccinees who later develop zoster must be considered contagious.”
- Excretion of small amounts of the live attenuated rubella virus from the nose or throat has occurred in the majority of susceptible individuals 7 to 28 days after vaccination.”http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/m/mmr_ii/mmr_ii_pi.pdf
- “Vaccine-associated measles five weeks post-immunization, British Columbia, Canada, October 2013″http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=20649
- “Excretion of vaccine strain measles virus in urine and pharyngeal secretions of a child with vaccine associated febrile rash illness, Croatia, March 2010”http://www.eurosurveillance.org/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=19652
- “Measles virus was isolated in a throat swab taken 4 days after fever onset. This virus was then further genetically characterized as a vaccine-type virus.Fever occurring subsequent to measles vaccination is related to the replication of the live attenuated vaccine virus.
In the case presented here, the vaccine virus was isolated in the throat, showing that subcutaneous injection of an attenuated measles strain can result in respiratory excretion of this virus.”
Toddler Survives Smallpox Vaccination: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSN1744524120070518?irpc=932
73 percent of kids aged 7 to 10 who caught pertussis last year in Washington State—where the infection hit particularly hard—had been fully vaccinated. And 81 percent of adolescents had not only had full childhood vaccinations, but also a booster shot. READ MORE..
Scientific American Journal:
Baboon Study Reveals New Shortcoming of Pertussis Vaccine
Recent studies have shown that immunity from the acellular (pertusis/whooping cough) vaccine wanes relatively quickly. In 2012, for instance, a New England Journal of Medicine study determined that children’s odds of catching pertussis rose by 42 percent each year after receiving the final dose of DTaP, usually given between ages four and six, in the childhood vaccine series.